Watch the video for a demonstration of the release features or scroll down for detailed guides to each new feature.
New features in this release:
- Choose fields included in a requests report and save report to run later
- Export report directly as an XLSX file
- Single email notification for batch document actions
- Improved department edit page (Admins only)
- Assign user to departments directly from user edit page (Admins only)
- Misc bug fixes and backend improvements
Overview: No more downloading a report with dozens of fields when you only need a handful of them! Now you can choose which fields you want to be included in your requests report. In addition, you can save that choice as a canned report which you can fun at any time.
How to use this feature: When you go to the All Requests page and click the RUN REPORT button (previously GENERATE REPORT) you'll see a menu where you can choose which fields you want to include. Each field corresponds to a column in the report. If you only want to run the report once click the RUN ONCE button. If you want to save the report to run later, enter a name for the report in the 'Name report' and click the SAVE & RUN button. Then the next time you want to run this report, go to the 'Saved Reports' tab of the Run Report menu. Once you've run your report, the pop-up menu will disappear and you will have the option to either download the report as a CSV or as an XLSX file (new!) using the buttons in the top right of the All Requests list. You can go back to a saved report at any time and update the name and included fields, or delete it entirely. For more detailed information about how to customize and save requests reports click here.
How to continue what you were doing before: Customizing and saving reports is completely optional. You can continue to run one-time reports with all fields included. After you click the RUN REPORTS button, click the RUN ONCE button in the pop-up menu without editing any of the fields. You can then download the report using by clicking the DOWNLOAD (.CSV) or DOWNLOAD (.XLSX) buttons.
Things to be aware of:
- You will need to apply any filters or searches to the request list each time you run a report. For example if you only want to include open requests in the report, you will need to click the 'Open' checkbox before clicking the RUN REPORT button, even if you had the 'Open' filter applied when you saved a report previously
- If you don't give your report a name when you save it it will be saved under the name 'NEW REPORT'
- All reports, regardless of their saved name, will be downloaded with the file name 'requests-[date]'
Overview: You can now download a report directly as an .xlsx file in addition to the previously available CSV. If you will be working with the report in Excel we recommend that you choose the .xlsx option as that will avoid any encoding issues
How to use this feature: Follow all the regular steps for generating a report (see previous section). When you are done generating the report click the new DOWNLOAD (.XLSX) button.
How to continue what you were doing before:You still have the option to download the file as a .csv. When you are done generating the report just click the DOWNLOAD (.CSV) button (previously DOWNLOAD).
Overview: Now when multiple documents are acted on at once you will only receive one email. This email will list all the documents that were updated. Bulk actions that now trigger a single email are uploading documents, changing the visibility of documents (releasing to requester/public or retracting), and deleting documents.
How to use this feature: You don't need to do anything new! Keep uploading, releasing, and deleting documents as before and know that your coworkers will no longer get flooded with notification emails
Overview: We've streamlined the Department Edit page so that adding and updating users in the department is much more straightforward. All the same information is still available but it's been reorganized and non-department users have been removed so you can focus just on users in the department. You no longer need to scroll through a list of all users in the portal any time you want to view or update the department users.
How to use this feature: When you go to a department edit page, instead of the previous list of all users on the portal you will instead see only the users in the department. You can add, update, and remove individual users to the department as well as update the department Point of Contact:
- The Point of Contact for the department is listed in the department info section at the top. You can select a new Point of Contact from the drop-down
- There's now a toggle next to each department user to indicate if the user should be auto-assigned to all requests for that department. You can also set a user to be auto-assigned to all department requests as part of adding the user to the department
- Click the new ADD STAFF button to add a new user to the department
- Click the REMOVE button next to a user to remove them from the department
For more detailed information about how to manage departments click here.
Things to be aware of:
- Creating a department and adding users is now a two-step process: After you click the NEW DEPARTMENT button in the Department tab you will see a page where you can enter the basic department information (Name, Description, Default Visibility, Department Point of Contact). Click SAVE on that page to create the department, after which the Department Staff section will appear and you can add users to the department
- You can no longer add multiple users to a department at once by clicking buttons next to them on a list of all users in the portal. We know it means a few extra clicks but we think it's more than made up for by being able to tell at a glance who is and isn't in the department!
Overview: You can now assign a user to departments when creating or editing the user. While certain actions are still only available on the Department edit page, if you just want to add a user to certain departments you can do that all from the Create/Edit user page.
How to use this feature: When you create or edit a user, locate the new Department box (just below the Role drop-down in the 'Account details' section. Click the box and then select one or more departments from the drop-down. Once you're down click the SAVE button at the bottom of the section.
Things to be aware of:
- Setting a user to be auto-assigned to all department requests can only be done from the Edit page for that department
- Setting a user as the Point of Contact for a department can only be done from the Edit page for that department
- Admins no longer input a password as part of creating a new user (new users set their password the first time they log in)
- Better vetting of whether an email address is valid when a requester submits a request
- Requesters without a email address can be selected from the Requester drop-down on the request page